Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Laura and Kanani get married

Laura and Kanani get married This weekend I had the honor and the privilege of attending a most perfect lesbian wedding high in the lush, green hills above Berkeley. The trees and sky provided a perfect backdrop as Laura, one of my oldest friends in a burgundy satin dres who previously had exhibited rather questionable taste in picking women, tied the knot with a smart grey suited Kanani, whom I truly enjoy and adore. While I managed to make it through the ceremony without a tear, the following toasts and moments of pure joy and recognition from family and friends easily turned on the faucet. I laughed, I cried, I ate three pieces of cake! While two of the night's events were straight out of the lesbian handbook - 1) The ceremony opened with a kd lang song, and 2) the first song played by the DJ was of course "We Are Family" forcing every woman-loving-woman to dance by law - the evening was full of delightful surprises. I couldn't help but wonder if the Massachusetts Supreme Court ever imagined an excerpt from Goodrige v. Department of Health (Massachusetts, 2003) would appear in gay wedding momentos in California. I also discovered why June 19th was chosen for their big day - Loretta Lynn recorded "Honky Tonk Woman" (1960) and the first topless bar in the USA opened in San Francisco (1964). It made sense to all who know them. Laura and Kanani, Congratulations. Queer Day wishes you a lifetime of happiness together�
[Date: 21-Jun-05 ]

No comments: