Pages

Monday, September 19, 2005

Ian McKellen: Coming out helped my career

Ian McKellen: Coming out helped my career Sir Ian McKellen, whose film Asylum opens today, told Newsweek he was "absolutely wrong in thinking coming out out of the closet wouldn't make a difference in his career. I became a better actor, and my film career took off in a way that I couldnt have expected. You cant lie about something so central to yourself without harming yourself. Acting in my case is no longer about disguise - its about telling the truth, and my truth is that Im gay. Im very happy for people to know that, and then I can get on with telling the truth about the character that Im playing. Thats why I can say to other actors: if you really want to be a good actor and a successful one, and youre gay, let everybody know it. �
[Date: 12-Aug-05 ]

No comments: