Pages

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Transsexual Nong Toom: The stage is harder than the boxing ring

Transsexual Nong Toom: The stage is harder than the boxing ring Nong Toom, the transsexual Muay Thai champion whose life story was made into the film "Beautiful Boxer" says that being onstage is harder than being in the boxing ring. Edward Choy reports that Toom is so soft-spoken and genteel in person that it's hard to believe she's a kickboxing champion. She performed the world premiere of her one-woman show, Boxing Cabaret, at Singapore's Esplanade as part of its Flipside festival. The boxer-turned model-turned actress recalls, When I first broke into the scene, I had my fair share of insults. It really hurt when I realized people thought I was just a gimmick. Worse, some people thought I was out to tarnish the image of Thai kickboxing. Now she's appeared in TV soap operas back home and is even set to star in a few films. �
[Date: 13-Jul-05 ]

No comments: