Pages

Sunday, July 03, 2005

Revitalizing Gay Pride

Revitalizing Gay Pride I've been meaning to tell you all about my big fat Gay Pride weekend here in gay mecca, but the truth is I don't feel that there is a whole hell of a lot to share - a feeling that has left me wondering if there is an overall necessity for such events anymore, at least in communities like San Francisco, and/or have I simply become too saturated a queer, as a result of living in gay ground zero for so long, to truly recognize and appreciate the incredible freedom that surrounds me. I honestly don't know, but I love that Victor is brainstorming and I think his idea makes sense. He writes, "This will be my 10th year and I have to admit that the thrill is gone. Though I'll attend the festivities, I will admit that it's done out of a place for something to do this weekend and not because I feel like I need to make a statement. Living in the bubble of San Francisco I got it pretty good. A home, a husband, a good job and a blog. I'm quite comfortable and feel somewhat untouchable by the events you report on at Queer Day that happen elsewhere in the US. Recently, I complained on my site about gay pride and something Joe said got me thinking it's really easy to complain about something, but if you really want to make a change you got to take some action. It's been nagging at me in the back of my mind and now I think I may have something that could really take off."�
[Date: 02-Jul-05 ]

No comments: