Pages

Saturday, July 02, 2005

Le Tigre's J.D. Samson celebrates her whiskers

Le Tigre's J.D. Samson celebrates her whiskers In this New York Times piece on women with facial hair, Le Tigre's J D Samson reveals that she developed facial hair at a young age. "All the kids from my town in Ohio mustache-bashed me and suggested all kinds of remedies like bleaching and waxing," she recalled. This was to change with a friend's pep talk and a realization. "The mustache that I had tried desperately to hide all my life was in fact hot. It's a measure of masculinity that I was so lucky to be born with. It was like a light bulb went off in my head. 'Reclaim it, J D, love it! Take what other people said was ugly your whole life and make it beautiful.' Sometimes I think of my mustache as my armor." She now wears a full mustache and has "mustache" tattooed across her chest, in large Old English letters.�
[Date: 01-Jul-05 ]

No comments: